New Shows Streaming This Week (12/28/20), Including ‘Chilling Adventures of Sabrina’ and ‘Yearly Departed’
The fourth and final installment of Netflix’s “The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina” has Sabrina (Kiernan Shipka from “Mad Men”) and friends saving the world from the eldritch terrors. In Amazon Prime Video's “Yearly Departed,” seven women comedians say goodbye to an awful 2020. Phoebe Robinson hosts. Comics include Rachel Brosnahan (“Mrs. Maisel”), Sarah Silverman and Tiffany Haddish.
Here’s a look at what’s premiering this week:
Monday, Dec. 28
- “Cops and Robbers” (Netflix) Animation and activism respond to police brutality and racial injustice.
- “Rango” (Netflix) An animated comedy about a lost chameleon who feigns toughness once he becomes sheriff of a corrupt town.
- “Hope Gap” (Amazon Prime Video) Grace’s (Annette Bening) 29-year marriage to Edward (Bill Nighy) suddenly ends, and she and her son have to pick up the pieces of their lives.
- “His Dark Materials, Season 2 Finale” (HBO/HBO Max) Based on Philip Pullman’s “The Subtle Knife,” there are witches, prophecies and surprises.
- “Our Idiot Brother” (Hulu) Ned (Paul Rudd) lacks common sense, just ask his three sisters, played by Emily Mortimer, Elizabeth Banks and Zooey Deschanel.
Tuesday, Dec. 29
- “Lawless” (IMDb TV) Set during the Depression, bootleggers in Virginia cope with threats to their business.
- “Los Dias De La Ballena (The Days of the Whale)” (HBO/HBO Max) Two young graffiti artists defy Colombian gangs when they paint over a threat.
Wednesday Dec. 30
- “Best Leftovers Ever!” (Netflix) Three cooks race to win prize money.
- “Equinox” Netflix Astrid goes in search of her sister — who vanished 21 years earlier.
- “Yearly Departed” (Amazon Prime Video) Seven comics can’t wait to leave 2020 behind.
- “Transformers: War for Cybertron Trilogy: Chapter 2: Earthrise” (Netflix) The original animated series, based on the popular Hasbro toy franchise, has the Autobots explore the galaxy for the Allspark.
Thursday Dec. 31
- “Supervized” (Amazon Prime Video) A comedy about four superheroes adjusting to retirement in a nursing home.
- “Chilling Adventures of Sabrina: Part 4” (Netflix) Let the teens do the heavy lifting and save the world from sinister forces.
- “Conan Without Borders” (HBO/HBO Max) Conan goes rogue worldwide.
- “Bayou Caviar” (Hulu) A former boxer gets involved with Russian mobsters after he sees a crime. Directed and starring Cuba Gooding, Jr.
- “Child’s Play 2/Child’s Play 3” (Peacock) Chucky is back in two slasher sequels.
- “19-2, Series 1 through 4 (Acorn) The award-winning Canadian police drama follows first responders beyond crime scenes and into their messy lives. Starring Adrian Holmes (Arrow) and Jared Keeso (Letterkenny).
- “Dog Day Afternoon” (HBO Max) Al Pacino plays a bank robber who steals to pay for his boyfriend’s sex-change operation. Memorable line: “Attica! Attica!”
- “Earth to Ned ” (Disney+) Ten new episodes of the talk show hosted by Ned, a blue-skinned alien, obsessed by celebrities.
- “Cool Hand Luke” (Netflix) Paul Newman plays a petty thief sentenced to hard time on a Florida prison farm — then demonstrates what an unbreakable will looks like.
- “Footloose” (Hulu) Watch Kevin Bacon put dancing on the map.