New to Streaming This Week (3/1/21), Including ‘Coming 2 America’ and ‘Raya and the Last Dragon”
The new King of Zamunda (Eddie Murphy) sets off to Queens to groom the son he never knew he had as crown prince in Coming 2 America. His wife and daughters back home are less than thrilled, in the much-anticipated comedy, streaming on Amazon Prime Video, which is available with a 30-Day Free Trial.
In “Boss Level,” the Hulu movie directed by Joe Carnahan, things are pretty dangerous for a former special forces operative (Frank Grillo.) He’s trapped in a time warp in which he faces assassins on a daily basis — unless he can escape. Mel Gibson and Naomi Watts co-star.
Here’s a look at what’s premiering this week:
Monday, March 1
- “DC Super Hero Girls: Season 1” (Netflix) Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Batgirl, Harley Quinn cope with high school.
- “Batman Begins” (Netflix) – After he trains with his mentor, Batman (Christian Bale) is ready to fight crime in Gotham City.
- “Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride” (HBO Max) A shy groom practices his vows, when a dead bride rises to take him at his word.
- “Ocean’s Eleven, Ocean’s Twelve and Ocean’s Thirteen” (HBO Max) The high-stakes con continues with George Clooney, Brad Pitt and Julia Roberts.
- “Back to the Future I, II, III” (Amazon Prime Video) Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox) moves back and forth in time, in a DeLorean car, with the eccentric Doc Brown (Christopher Lloyd).
- “Ghost” (Tubi) A man is killed, but his spirit remains to warn his lover of danger, helped by a psychic (Whoopi Goldberg). Also starring Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze.
Tuesday, March 2
- “Black or White” (Netflix) A widower (Kevin Costner) gets into a custody battle over his biracial granddaughter, who he’s helped raise.
- “Word Party: Season 5” (Netflix) Kip the Wallaby, Lulu the Panda, Bailey the Elephant, and Franny the Cheetah are back.
- “Debris” (Hulu) An alien spacecraft is causing problems, having odd effects on people.
- “Top Chef: Complete Season 17” (Hulu) Chefs compete in fierce culinary challenges.
Wednesday, March 3
- “Moxie” (Netflix) Amy Poehler stars and directs the teen-empowerment film.
- “Murder Among the Mormons” (Netflix) A three-part documentary involves the bombings, forgeries and the Church of Latter-Day Saints in one of Utah’s most infamous crimes.
- “Hunter x Hunter” (Episodes 100-148) (HBO Max) An animated tale of a boy searching for the father who left him.
- “Out of Africa” (Amazon Prime Video) Meryl Streep stars as Isak Dinesen, the Danish writer in colonial Kenya, during her affair with a big-game hunter (Robert Redford).
- “New Amsterdam: Season 3” (Hulu) A doctor upends the status quo to shake up at an understaffed and underappreciated hospital, inspired by Bellevue.
Thursday, March 4
- “Persona: The Dark Truth Behind Personality Tests” (HBO Max) The history behind the famous MBTI personality test and its effect on people and society.
- “Stephen Colbert Presents Tooning Out the News” (Paramount +) A wild, wacky ride through current events, with a healthy dose of parody.
- “Mr. Mercedes, season 3” (Peacock) A Stephen King thriller about a retired cop and the serial killer he thinks is back.
Friday March 5
- “Coming 2 America” (Amazon Prime Video) Eddie Murphy heads to Queens to groom his heir, the son he’s never met.
- “Raya and the Last Dragon” (Disney+) An evil force has returned and it’s up to a lone warrior, Raya, to track down the legendary last dragon to restore the fractured land and its divided people.
- “Boss Level” (Hulu) A retired Special Forces op is trapped in a time loop on the day he dies.
- “City of Ghosts” (Netflix) In the new animated show, kids learn about their city by communicating directly with ghosts that live there.
- “Sentinelle” (Netflix) A trained French soldier hunts down the man who hurt her sister.
- “Secrets of Sulphur Springs: Time Warped” (Disney+) Two 12-year-olds find a secret portal that allows them to travel back in time.