New Shows Streaming This Week (1/11/21), Including ‘WandaVision’ and ‘One Night in Miami’
Disney+’s awaited premiere of “WandaVision” is finally here. Based on the Marvel Comics characters Wanda Maximoff / Scarlet Witch and Vision. Marvel producer Kevin Feige described it as a “half classic sitcom, half MCU spectacular” when it was announced at the D23 Expo. Set in the 1950s, the two pretend to be a suburban couple, but they are so much more.
Amazon Prime Video offers an original movie, “One Night in Miami,” set in 1964. Cassius Clay joins Jim Brown, Sam Cooke and Malcolm X as they discuss the responsibility of black men one meaningful night.
Here’s a look at what’s premiering this week:
Monday, Jan. 11
- “The Rhythm Section” (2020) (Hulu) A woman seeks revenge against those who orchestrated a plane crash that killed her family.
- “Lights Out” (Hulu) A supernatural entity terrorizes a young girl and her brother.
- “CRACK: Cocaine, Corruption & Conspiracy” (Netflix) A documentary explores the complex history of crack in the 1980s, including issues of racism.
- “The Intouchables” (Netflix) An unlikely friendship develops between a wealthy quadriplegic (François Cluzet) and his caretaker (Omar Sy), just released from prison.
- “Love My Way, Series 1” (Acorn) Australian drama series about a group of 30somethings dealing with the challenges of life.
- “A Little Late with Lilly Singh: Season 2 Premiere” (Hulu) The Canadian YouTube comedian continues as a talk-show host.
- “Blue Valentine” (HBO Max) A working-class marriage on the rocks, starring Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams.
- “Hellboy trilogy: Blood and Iron, Sword of Storms, The Dark Below” (HBO Max) Summoned from hell to Earth by his Nazi masters, he does a 180 and transforms into a superhero trying to keep the world safe.
- “Prodigal Son, Season 2” (Hulu) A criminal psychologist helps the NYPD solve cases.
- “The Resident” (Hulu) The drama of staff members at a hospital and the bureaucracy they encounter.
- “Everyone is Doing Great: Complete Season 1” (Hulu) Post fame, two 30-year-old guys have to decide what’s next.
- “U.S. Championships Figure Skating” (Peacock) Medals will be awarded for men’s singles, ladies’ singles, pair skating and ice dance at junior and senior levels.
Thursday Jan. 14
- “Alone”(Hulu) The most intense survival series — reality TV goes to the wilderness.
- “The Secrets We Keep” (Hulu) In post-WWII America, a woman kidnaps her neighbor for the war crimes he committed against her.
- “Jazz: The Gift (1917-1924)” (PBS) Part of the heralded Ken Burns’ “Jazz” series that traces the history of the unique American art form.
Friday Jan. 15
- “One Night In Miami”(Amazon Prime Video) Four famous black men meet at a key moment in the lives of black Americans.
- “Mary Poppins Returns” (Disney+) Jane and Michael Banks are grown up — but when trouble strikes, they still need Mary Poppins’ help.
- “Outside the Wire” (Netflix) A drone pilot and an android officer must find a doomsday device before the insurgents do.
- “WandaVision” (Disney+) A suburban comedy with Marvel’s superheroes.
- “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” (HBO Max) Inmates in a mental institution fight back, led by Jack Nicolson against the awful Nurse Ratchet.