New Shows Streaming This Week (1/4/21), Including ‘Tony Parker’ and ‘Squish’
Tony Parker is considered the best basketball player in France. After playing b-ball in the French league, he earned fame playing for the San Antonio Spurs. The Netflix doc examines the point guard’s life and career. The HBO Max animated comedy “Squish” is about a Twinkie-eating amoeba who navigates friends and parents, based on the bestselling books by Jennifer and Matthew Holm.
Here’s a look at what’s premiering this week:
Monday, Jan. 4
- “30 Coins” (HBO Max) The eight-episode drama series follows Father Vergara (Eduard Fernández), an exorcist and ex-convict, becomes a priest in a remote Spanish town — where strange things begin to happen.
- “The Bone Detectives” (Acorn) forensic-focused archaeology series with prominent paleontologist Tori Herridge.
- “Call Me Kat: Season 1, Finale” (Hulu) Kooky Kat (Mayim Bialik, “The Big Bang Theory”) opens a cat café in Louisville to the consternation of her mother (Swoosie Kurtz).
- “The Crimson Petal and The White” (Acorn) UK period drama set in 1870s London starring Romola Garai (“Atonement:), Chris O’Dowd (“Bridesmaids”) and Amanda Hale (“Star Wars: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker”).
- “Gabby’s Dollhouse” (Netflix) Cute cats and crafts, based on the kid’s toy and the popular Gabby & Friends YouTube channel.
- “Boruto: Season 1” (Hulu) The animated show focuses on Boruto Uzumaki, who follows in his father Naruto’s footsteps by training to become a powerful ninja.
- “History of Swear Words” (Netflix) Nicolas Cage hosts a documentary about the origin of curses.
- “The Wall: Season 4” Premiere (Hulu) The game show is presented by actor and comedian Chris Hardwick.
- ”Mighty Oak” (Amazon Prime Video) When a woman meets a guitar player, she decides he’s her reincarnated brother — and gets the band back together.
- “Tony Parker-The Final Shot” (Netflix) The doc looks at Parker’s determination to become the greatest French basketball player.
- “Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist, Season 1, 2” (NBC/Peacock) Zoey, thanks to a strange medical procedure glitch, learns to read minds.
Thursday Jan. 7
- “Gretel & Hansel” (Amazon Prime Video) Two youngsters search for food in the forest, only to discover evil.
- “Pieces of a Woman” (Netflix) A botched home birth shatters a woman and a marriage, starring Vanessa Kirby (“The Crown”).
- “Jazz-Gumbo, Beginnings to 1917” (PBS) The series opens in New Orleans, 19th-century America’s most cosmopolitan city, where black musicians mix ragtime and the blues.
- “Name That Tune: Series Premiere” (Hulu) A revival of the American television game show with celebrity guest stars.
Friday Jan. 8
- “Herself” (Amazon Prime Video) A single mom and her kids escape an abusive home, then try against all odds to rebuild their lives.
- “Charming” (Netflix) On the eve of his 21st birthday, a prince must find his soul mate before love is removed from his kingdom.
- “Mr. Mayor, Season 1” (NBC/Peacock) Written by Tina Fey and Robert Carlock, it stars Ted Danson as a man running to be mayor of LA — for all the wrong reasons.
- “Squish, Season 1” (HBO Max) A comedy about a grade-school amoeba.
- “The Chase: Series Premiere” (Hulu) Three competitors challenge the Chaser, a ruthless quiz genius who intends to stop them.
- “Star Wars Forces of Destiny: Volume 1,2, 3 and 4” (Disney+) The animated shorts show how key “Star Wars” characters’ choices, big and small, shape their lives.