New to Streaming This Week (6/14/21), Including ‘Luca’ and ‘The Little Things’
Disney-Pixar’s “Luca” is a coming-of-age story about a young boy and a special summer of ice cream, pasta and fun. Luca is just happy to share adventures with his new best friend. That is, until a secret world is revealed and sea monsters threaten their joy in this animated Disney+ film.
“The Little Things” initially premiered last January simultaneously in theaters and on HBO Max. Now, the thriller comes back to HBO Max as it heads to a wider digital release. It stars Denzel Washington as sheriff and Jared Leto as a suspected serial killer terrorizing LA.
Monday, June 14
- Stanley Cup Semifinals (Peacock) All remaining games will be streamed, beginning tonight at 9 p.m. starting with Game 1 between the Montreal Canadiens and Vegas Golden Knights.
- Elite Short Stories: Nadia Guzmán (Netflix) Nadia debates seeing her long-distance boyfriend when she returns for her sister’s wedding in Spain.
- Rūrangi: Complete Season 1 (The Yellow Affair) (Hulu) A transgendered activist tries to connect with his estranged father after a 10-year absence.
Peacock is a subscription video streaming service from NBCUniversal that includes original shows, blockbuster movies, and classic television series. Peacock is home to “Yellowstone,” and “The Office,” as well as original hits like “Poker Face” and “Bel-Air.” You can also watch live sports including Sunday Night Football, Premier League, and exclusive MLB games. Peacock is also the exclusive home to many WWE events like WrestleMania. Premium Plus subscribers can stream their local NBC feed in all 210 markets.
Peacock includes news, entertainment, sports, late-night, and reality from various NBCU properties including NBC, Bravo, and E!.
Peacock also includes the entire library of Bravo shows and has exclusives like “Below Deck: Down Under.” They also include live and on-demand access to Hallmark channels.
The company has acquired the rights to many classic shows like “Parks and Recreation,” and the entire Dick Wolf library including “Law & Order” and “Chicago Fire.”
The service also features blockbusters and critically-acclaimed films from Universal Pictures, Focus Features, DreamWorks Animation, Illumination and content acquired from Hollywood’s biggest studios.
Tuesday, June 15
- Let’s Eat (Netflix) Two neighbors discover their relationship is defined by food.
- Life of Crime (Netflix) A real-estate developer’s wife is kidnapped — but he has no interest in paying the ransom.
- Sir! No Sir! (Netflix) A doc about the military men and women who pressured the government to end the Vietnam War.
- Revolution Rent (HBO Max) Andy Senor, Jr., stages the Broadway musical “Rent” in Cuba – the first by an American company in more than 50 years. The catch? The show is reimagined with a Cuban context.
- Rel-Season 1 (IMDb TV) A comic puts his life back together after his marriage falls apart.
- Juneteenth (Haystack News) News coverage of Juneteenth, the day that celebrates emancipation and the end of slavery in the United States.
Max is a subscription video streaming service that gives access to the full HBO library, along with exclusive Max Originals. There are hubs for content from TLC, HGTV, Food Network, Discovery, TCM, Cartoon Network, Travel Channel, ID, and more. Watch hit series like “The Last of Us,” “House of the Dragon,” “Succession,” “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” and more. The service changed its name from “HBO Max” on May 23, 2023.
Max has three tiers, an ad-supported plan for $9.99 an ad-free plan for $15.99, and the ultimate tier that includes 4K for $19.99.
All Max subscribers will get the full libraries of shows like “Friends”, “The Big Bang Theory”, “South Park”, “Fresh Prince of Bel-Air”, “The West Wing”, and more.
You can choose to add Max as a subscription through Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, or other Live TV providers.
Wednesday, June 16
- Paddington (Tubi) A jam-loving bear upends life for a London family.
- Tower Heist (Peacock) When a group is swindled in a Ponzi scheme, they go after the ringleader.
- The House My Wedding Bought (discovery+) Designer and real-estate expert Breegan Jane (“Extreme Makeover: Home Edition”) helps couples on a budget pay for a dream wedding and put a down payment on a house.
- Penguin Town (Netflix) In a South African town, endangered penguins look for mates.
- Silver Skates (Netflix) On the frozen rivers of St. Petersburg, a petty thief skates into the heart of an aristocrat’s daughter.
- Her Name is Chef (Hulu) Six talented women overcome obstacles to become top chefs.
Hulu is a video streaming service that gives access to thousands of full seasons of exclusive series, hit movies, kids shows, and Hulu Originals like “Only Murders in the Building,” and “The Handmaid’s Tale.”
It offers a good selection of current TV shows and its ad-supported tier is cheaper than both Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. You will be able to watch most shows from networks like ABC and Fox, and cable channels like FXX, FXM, HGTV, and more.
The service has a Limited Commercials plan for $7.99 a month, or you can upgrade to their No Ads plan for $14.99 a month. For $69.99 a month, you can get Hulu Live TV from major cable channels, live locals and regional sports networks.
Thursday, June 17
- Summer Camp Island, Season 4 (HBO Max) Follow the adventures of Oscar and his best friend, Hedgehog, at a magical summer camp.
- The Little Things (HBO) Deputy Sheriff Joe “Deke” Deacon joins forces with Sgt. Jim Baxter to search for a serial killer.
- Intelligence, Season 2 (Peacock) A maverick NSA liaison with a wacky team wreaks havoc at the British Secret Service — but miraculously, gets the job done.
- Black Summer: Season 2 (Netflix) Special forces fight against a zombie apocalypse.
- The Gift: Season 3 (Netflix) An Istanbul painter embarks on a personal journey as she unearths universal secrets about an archaeological site.
- Dave: Season 2 (Hulu) A neurotic suburbanite in his 20s thinks he’s destined to be a great rapper.
- My Name is Bulger (discovery+) The family of Boston gangster James “Whitey” Bulger wants to be judged on its own merits, not by its infamous relative.
Luca and his best friend Alberto experience an unforgettable summer on the Italian Riviera. But all the fun is threatened by a deeply-held secret: they are sea monsters from another world just below the water’s surface.
Friday June 18
- Luca (Disney+) An Italian summer adventure with Luca and his best friend — as they tackle the secrets of the deep.
- Chivas: El Rebaño Sagrado, Season 1 (Amazon Prime Video) The series charts the latest season of the beloved Mexican soccer team Chivas de Guadalajara and its players.
- Super Friends (HBO Max) Catch the ongoing animated saga of DC Comics superheroes.
- Fatherhood (Netflix) A widowed new dad raises his newborn daughter after his wife dies a day after her birth. Based on a true story, starring Kevin Hart.
- The Rational Life (Netflix) A career-driven 30-something Chinese woman must contend with a competitive workplace, a love triangle and her nagging mother.