New to Streaming This Week (12/21/20), Including ‘Soul’ and ‘Wonder Woman 1984’
As part of HBO Max’s new strategy, “Wonder Woman 1984” hits theaters the same day it streams. Look for the superhero to battle Maxwell Lord and the Cheetah on Christmas Day. Disney+ is finding its “Soul,” a Pixar animated film about a middle school teacher who goes to a supernatural realm known as The Great Before, “a fantastical place where new souls get their personalities, quirks and interests before they go to Earth.”
Here’s a look at what’s premiering this week:
Monday, Dec. 21
- “The Con Is On” (Netflix) Tim Roth and Uma Thurman star as con artists who flee to Los Angeles to escape a London mobster.
- “You Cannot Kill David Arquette” (Hulu) The documentary chronicles the wrestler’s struggle with addition and his return to the ring.
- “Ariana Grande: Excuse Me, I Love You” (Netflix) Pop-star sensation Ariana Grande presents her worldwide tour documentary.
Tuesday, Dec. 22
- “Shaun the Sheep: The Farmer’s Llamas” (Netflix) A British stop-motion animated TV special created by Nick Park of “Wallace & Gromit” fame.
- “After We Collided” (Netflix) The YA romance is a sequel to “After.”
- “Juliet, Naked” (IMDb TV) It’s about Annie, a long-suffering girlfriend of Duncan, who has a romance with Tucker, her boyfriend’s musical obsession.
- “Timmy Time: Season 2” (Netflix) Timmy is a little lamb with a lot to learn as he heads off to nursery school, like how others feel.
Wednesday Dec. 23
- “Pawn Sacrifice” (Amazon Prime Video) Chess prodigy Bobby Fischer is caught between the U.S. and the Soviet Union as he struggles to dominate the game.
- “The Little Hours” (Amazon Prime Video) Bored, cloistered nuns soon encounter a groundskeeper (Dave Franco) who unleashes all kinds of forbidden vices.
- “Your Name Engraved Herein” (Netflix) In 1987, as martial law ends in Taiwan, two people fall in love as they cope with family pressure.
- “The Midnight Sky” (Netflix) After a global catastrophe, a lone scientist in the Arctic races warns astronauts not to return to Earth. George Clooney and Felicity Jones star.
- “Squish, Season 1” (HBO Max) A comic book-loving, Twinkie-eating grade school amoeba tries to fit in.
Thursday Dec. 24
- “Five Bedrooms” (Peacock) Five friends at very different stages of their lives make the bold decision to pool their funds and buy a house together.
- “Brave New World” (Peacock) Based on Aldous Huxley’s novel about people given predetermined life roles – until they rebel.
Friday Dec. 25
- “Soul” (Disney+) Animated movie about a hip music teacher and jazz musician who is born to play — and shares his love of music with his students.
- “Wonder Woman 1984” (HBO Max) Gal Gadot will reprise her role in the sequel. A whiz with a lasso, it’s a more mature heroine — but she’s still doing the right thing: battling evil.
- “Bridgerton” (Netflix) In Regency England siblings of a family search for love.
- “Sylvie’s Love” (Amazon Prime Video) A young woman meets a saxophonist in her father’s Harlem record shop in the 1950s — and it kick-starts an unusual romance.
- “Soldiers of Fortune” (Hulu) A 1990s elite team deals with terrorists and drug lords for the U.S. Government.