New Shows Streaming This Week (8/3/2020): Seth Rogen’s ‘An American Pickle’, ‘Star Trek: Lower Decks’, & More
Fans of Seth Rogen (“Knocked Up,” “Steve Jobs”) will enjoy the HBO Max time-travel comedy “An American Pickle,” while “Stargirl” offers the latest teen superhero to save humanity. The docuseries front has a host of eclectic fare, from “On the Trail: Inside the 2020 Primaries” to “Howard,” the story of the super-talented lyricist Howard Ashman, who wrote many beloved Disney movie hits.
Trekkies can delight in the latest incarnation with a twist, an animated show titled “Lower Decks.”
Here’s a look at what’s premiering this week:
Monday, August 3
- “The Fugitive” reboot premiere (Quibi) is not connected to the original 1960s TV series. It stars Kiefer Sutherland and Boyd Holbrook.
- “Immigration Nation,” a six-hour docuseries on Netflix, examines the bureaucracy of immigration enforcement and the often terrorizing tactics of ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) agents.
- “Stargirl” (DC Universe). With the ISA on their trail, superhero teen Courtney and her team are still battling villains in the season one finale.
Tuesday, August 4
- “Bad Ideas With Adam Devine” ratchets up the adventure and the danger in the season 1 finale. (Quibi)
Wednesday, August 5
- “The “Anelka: Misunderstood” documentary looks at the arrogant bad boy of French soccer. (Netflix)
- “World’s Most Wanted” criminals do terrible crimes and somehow avoid capture. It’s the doc’s premiere. (Netflix)
Thursday, August 6
- “An American Pickle” movie premiere (HBO Max) A 1920s Jewish laborer in Brooklyn falls into a pickle vat and reemerges 100 years later.
- “Doom Patrol” (HBO Max) Part of the DC Universe — Niles tries to keep his daughter a little girl because when she matures, the Candlemaker will be unleashed. She’s just hit puberty in the season two finale.
- “Hitmen” (UK) series premiere (Peacock; all episodes) A British detective killed in action is brought back to life thanks to experimental artificial intelligence.
- “Esme & Roy Season 2B” follows young Esme and her best monster friend, Roy, on adventures in Monsterdale. (HBO Max; all episodes)
- “Star Trek: Lower Decks” is a bit snarky. It centers on the support crew serving on one of Starfleet’s least important ships. (CBS All Access)
- The “On the Trail: Inside the 2020 Primaries” documentary promises an election year like no other. (HBO Max)
Friday, August 7
- “Disney Family Sundays” has been a stalwart in American homes for generations. And the magic remains in the series’ finale. (Disney+)
- “Howard” is a look at the life and times of the late gifted lyricist Howard Ashman. (Disney+)
- “The Magic School Bus Rides Again: Kids in Space” title says it all. The franchise is a perennial kids’ favorite. (Netflix)
- “Nailed It! Mexico”— (Netflix; all episodes) The season two “Nailed It!” spinoff, a reality bake-off competition, is hosted by Omar Chaparro and Anna Ruiz.
- “Selling Sunset” (Netflix; all episodes) More drama from The Oppenheim Group realtors in 2020 in season three. Meet the cutthroats of LA real estate.
- “Work It” — (Netflix) The American coming-of-age dance comedy film stars singer-actress Sabrina Carpenter.