How to change languages on Netflix (with pictures)
Looking to change your TV show or movie language selection on Netflix? It’s only a few short clicks away. Follow our guide to make a new choice.
Changing the language for one video
When you’re logged into your Netflix account, play your selected movie.
On a smart TV, launching any movie immediately shows the “Audio and subtitles” menu on the left side of the screen. Click that to make a change.
Select Your Preferred Audio
If you’re on a desktop, play the movie and move your cursor. You’ll see a display appear across the bottom. Click the icon that looks like a speech bubble. That opens a window where you can select your preferred audio.
Phones & Tablets
This procedure is similar on phones and tablets. Start your selected film and tap the screen to bring up a display across the bottom of the screen. Click “Audio & Subtitles” and make your selection.
Smart TVs and Streaming Devices
If you’d like to change the language mid-viewing while on smart TVs or streaming devices, start your movie, and the next click is usually your “down” arrow on your remote to bring up a small menu - look for that little “speech bubble” icon after you’ve clicked. That’s where you want to go.
On an Apple TV, swiping down on the remote brings up a display where you can select “Audio.” Simply select the language you want, click your choice and the audio will change for the duration of the film.
Changing the default language across all videos
This is useful if you have family members who use your Netflix account who prefer a different language across all titles. It’s also a great choice if you’re trying to learn a second language. By making adjustments at the profile level, you don’t need to change the language every time.
This adjustment is easiest with a desktop browser.
From Your Account
- For a shortcut, you can change all your Netflix language preferences on this page. Or if you’re on the Netflix home screen, go to the upper right corner by your profile avatar, then click “Account.”
- That opens a window with several options to change. Scroll down to “Profile & Parental Controls” and select the account you want to change. Look under “Language” and click “Change.”
- This opens a window where you can change the text you see on the Netflix menus, along with the default audio and subtitle language for shows and movies.
- Once you’ve made your choices, be sure to click the “Save” button at the bottom of the page. That profile will now reflect the new choices.
From Your Profile
- You can also make the change by going to your profile icon in the upper right corner of the main page, then selecting “Manage Profiles.”
- Go to the profile you want and click the icon showing a small circle with a pencil to edit those preferences.
- From this screen you can select the profile language from the “Language” drop-down box.
- Be sure to click “Save” to lock in your preferred language.
Smart TV and Streaming Player
On a smart TV, opening the Netflix app shows you a screen with the message “Who’s watching Netflix?” Beneath each profile icon is that same circle-and-pencil icon. If you click that, you can choose “Language,” and make a new selection there. Be careful - if you choose the wrong language here, all the menus will convert to that new language!
If you are trying to learn a second language with Netflix, the Language Learning with Netflix Chrome extension is also a great way to get up to speed.
Note that not all Netflix titles will come with every spoken or subtitled language as an option, but the platform does offer a wide variety for viewers all over the world.