What streaming services are available?
As we mentioned in the first part of our cord-cutting guide, most cord cutters use more than one service. We recommend selecting one service for Live TV and at least one for On Demand video. This gives you the best of both worlds. For example, a bundle of Hulu Live TV and Disney+ would be a fine combination to start your cord cutting journey, providing live TV, on demand, and premium on demand in one package.
If you’d like to know which service is best for viewers on a budget, or best for families, or provides the most content, The Streamable has comprehensive comparison guides:
Whether you choose one service or several, The Streamable can guide you through your selections. Here are your options.
Live TV Streaming Services
These services offer a virtually identical experience to what cable TV provides. You’ll sign up for a package of live cable channels and you’ll have access to a “cloud DVR” so you can record your shows, but your recordings will not last forever. If live events like sports channels, news, or awards shows are important to you, you may need one of these services.
Each service offers a different experience, so click each name for The Streamable’s full breakdown. And remember, our Service Matchmaker is the simplest way to compare prices and channel lineups.
- Philo - 60 channels, $20 / month
- Hulu Live TV - 70 channels, $64.99 / month
- fuboTV - 90 channels, $64.99 / month
- Sling TV - 30-45 channels, $35-$50 / month
- AT&T TV - 65-140 channels, $69.99-$139.99 / month
- TVision - 35-65 channels, $10-$60 / month
- YouTube TV - 60 channels, $64.99 / month
- Frndly TV - 15 channels, $5.99 / month
- Vidgo - 65-75 channels, $44.98-$55 / month (note: no DVR)
Along with your streaming subscription, you will be able to use TV Everywhere apps, which allow for on demand viewing of your favorite shows, along with some additional features. Your live streaming service usually allows for on demand viewing of most programs without launching those external apps. If TV Everywhere apps are important to you, please consult our TV Everywhere app guide to be sure your chosen service offers support.
Premium On Demand Services
Much of the “buzz” you hear about streaming comes from the exclusive shows available on these platforms. From the new Star Wars adventures of The Mandalorian to the dystopian future of The Handmaid’s Tale to the throwback sci-fi adventures of Stranger Things, these on demand platforms are making huge investments to entertain you with original programming. There is great on demand content available on every platform, so it’s worth sampling a few to find the one that you like best.
Most of these services do provide a rotating library of blockbuster Hollywood films. But it is important to know that while big movies or major TV shows may jump from service to service over time, most services are creating exclusive films and shows that should remain on those services as long as they exist.
Simply click each service below to learn more.
FlixFling - $7.99 / month
Highlights: No original programming, many film genres, mostly low-budget films
Niche On Demand Services
If you have a particular interest, there may be a streaming service that can offer even more content.
- ESPN+ - $5.99 / month
- DAZN - $19.99 / month
- MyOutdoorTV (hunting/adventure TV) - $9.99 / month
- WWE Network (wrestling entertainment) - $9.99 / month
- FloSports - $12.49 / month
- Noggin - $7.99 / month
- Hopster - $7.99 / month
- Toon Goggles - $1.99 / month
- HooplaKidz Plus - $2.99 / month
- Kidstream - $4.99 / month
- Ameba - $3.99 / month
- Kidoodle.TV - $4.99 / month
- Yippee (Christian content) - $7.99 / month
- Funimation (anime) - $7.99 / month
- Crunchyroll (anime) - $7.99-$14.99 / month
- RetroCrush (anime) - $4.99 / month
- HIDIVE (anime) - $4.99 / month
- Boomerang (mainstream animation) - $4.99 / month
- VRV (anime, gaming, tech, cartoons) - $9.99 / month
- BET+ (Black entertainment) - $9.99 / month
- ALLBLK (formerly UMC - Black entertainment) - $4.99 / month
- kweliTV (Black entertainment) - $5.99 / month
- Brown Sugar (classic Black films) - $3.99 / month
- Dove Channel (Christian entertainment) - $4.99 / month
- PureFlix (Christian entertainment) - $12.99 / month
- Chai Flicks (Jewish entertainment) - $5.99 / month
- Shudder - $5.99 / month
- Screambox - $4.99 / month
- Dark Matter TV - $4.99 / month
- Night Flight Plus - $4.99 / month
- Midnight Pulp - $4.99 / month
- ARROW - $4.99 / month
- Quello (live pop music concerts) - $11.99 / month
- Broadway HD (musicals, plays, concerts) - $8.99 / month
- Marquee TV (dance, opera, theatre, music) - $8.99 / month
- National Theatre at Home (plays from London’s National Theatre) - $12.99 / month
- Met Opera on Demand - $14.99 / month
- Medici.tv (classical music, operas, ballets) - $12.99 / month
- CLI Studios (dance performance, choreography lessons) - $8.25 / month
- Criterion Channel - $10.99 / month
- Magnolia Selects - $4.99 / month
- IndieFlix - $4.99 / month
- Music Box Direct - $4.99 / month
- Sundance Now - $6.99 / month
- Flix Premiere - $6.99 / month
- OVID.tv - $6.99 / month
- MUBI - $10.99 / month
- Topic - $5.99 / month
- Filmatique - $4.95 / month
- IFC Films Unlimited - $5.99 / month
- Seed&Spark - $3 / month
- Film Movement Plus - $5.99 / month
- Acorn TV (British TV shows) - $5.99 / month
- BritBox (British TV shows) - $6.99 / month
- Eros Now (Bollywood entertainment) - $4.99 / month
- Spuul (Bollywood entertainment) - $4.99 / month
- MHz Choice (mostly European entertainment) - $7.99 / month
- Pantaya (Spanish entertainment) - $5.99 / month
- Flix Latino (Spanish entertainment) - $2.99 / month
- KOCOWA (Korean entertainment) - $6.99 / month
- On Demand Korea (Korean entertainment) - $6.99 / month
- Viki (Asian entertainment) - $4.99 / month
- Hi-YAH! (martial arts films) - $3.99 / month
- TOKU (tokusatsu, martial arts, Chinese drama) - $3.99 / month
- Hallmark Movies Now - $5.99 / month
- Lifetime Movie Club - $3.99 / month
- PokerGO - $14.99 / month
- Gaia (yoga, meditation) - $11.99 / month
- CGood.TV (personal growth) - $2.99 / month
- Motortrend - $4.99 / month
Free or ad-supported services
There are some streaming services that allow you to watch movies and TV series for free, as long as you’re willing to sit through commercials. Some of these services allow for ad-free experiences if you pay for a premium tier. Some of these services allow for on demand viewing, others simply offer live streams you can view.
- Pluto TV
- CW Seed
- IMDb TV
- Roku Channel
- Shout Factory TV
- Nosey (tabloid daytime TV)
- VUit (local TV news)
- Rooster Teeth (gaming, animation, comedy)
- Le Cinéma Club (one film each week)
If you have a library card, apps like Hoopla or Kanopy can provide a limited selection of streaming video. (Check with your library to see which service they support.) PBS and PBS Kids also provide free content, although the selection is more limited than what you’d find on premium on demand services.
Individual purchases or rentals
There are many ways to buy or rent an individual film or episode online if you don’t want a full-on subscription. While you might expect that the purchase of a movie entitles you to stream it forever, users occasionally run into issues with their titles disappearing for various reasons.
How to jump in
The best way to start streaming is to sign up for any service that interests you. As long as you have an internet connection, you can get the hang of the streaming experience through your browser or an app on your phone or tablet. Once you feel more confident, you can expand your experience with additional streaming services and devices. It’s always best to try a service for a few months before committing to any longer contracts.
Each service has pros and cons. You will need to consider a service’s movie and TV library, the experience of using the app, and the price to know if it is right for you.
But once you’re ready to take the leap, you’ll enter a world of near-infinite content, reasonable prices, and infinite flexibility.
Be sure to bookmark TheStreamable.com to keep tabs on all the latest news on these streaming services and tips and tricks to get the most out of your subscriptions!