Latest Streaming & Cord-Cutting News from The Streamable
Hulu Live TV announced this morning that they have added 12 new NBC, FOX, Telemundo, and CW affiliates. With the additions, they have surpassed 740 live local affiliates — the most of any Live TV Streaming Service. The full list is below.
Individually, Hulu has live local CBS and FOX affiliates in 99% of U.S. TV Households, NBC in 95% U.S. Households, and ABC in 85% of U.S. Households.
In most markets that don’t receive their live local CBS & NBC affiliate, they’ve added live national feeds. While you’ll get primetime programming on those channels, local daytime programming and news will be missing.
You can use our Local Channel Finder to compare which service has the most local affiliates in your market.
- Savannah GA - WSAV
- Baton Rouge, LA - WVLA
- Springfield, MA - WWLP
- Lima, OH - WLIO
- Topeka, KS - KSNT
- Bend, OR - KTVZ
- Jackson, TN - WNBJ-LD
- Wichita Falls, TX - KFDX
- Shreveport, LA - KPXJ
- Santa Barbara, CA - KTAS
NVIDIA SHIELD, the Android TV streaming device that has become a favorite of cord cutters, has added support for Amazon Music.
Amazon Music joins Google Play Music, Spotify, and Pandora which already were supported on NVIDIA SHIELD. The upgrade, known as SHIELD Experience Software Upgrade 7.2, will automatically include Amazon Music or can be downloaded from Google Play.
If you are not an Amazon Music subscriber, you can try it for 3 months for $0.99.
They also announced that they have dropped the price of the SHIELD TV by $30 until December 24. You can get an additional 5% off by clipping a coupon on the Amazon product page.
- SHIELD TV Standard Edition (with remote): $149 (normally $179)
- SHIELD TV Gaming Edition (with remote and controller): $169 (normally $199)
- SHIELD TV Smart Home Edition (with remote and SmartThings Link): $189.98 (normally $219)
NVIDIA has been known to aggressively push software updates for the device. In September, they announced the 20th software upgrade for the SHIELD since its launch in 2015.
Other enhancements in the software upgrade include support for 5.1 audio on YouTube, customizable quick settings, automatic software updates, SMBv3 support, and a security patch.
Philo — the entertainment-only live streaming service Live TV Streaming Service has added a new grid guide to their Fire TV app. The guide, which they launched on Roku in October, brings three updated features to make browsing and channel surfing easier on Philo.
New Philo Guide Features on Fire TV
- Grid View: Current programming for the next 6-12 hours are now listed by channel in a grid view.
- Favorites First: See what’s on your favorite channels as they’re listed first in the grid view.
- Live Preview: Hold down the [OK] button to see more information on the show while it plays subtly in the background.
If you are a new or existing Philo subscriber — you can also take advantage of their recently launched a holiday promotion, where you can get 6 months of Philo Plus — 56 channel plan — for nearly the same price as Philo (a $30 savings).
If you just want one, they are matching their Black Friday deal of $25 for Fire TV Stick (normally $35) or $35 (normally $50) for Fire TV Stick 4K. The recently released Fire TV Stick 4K includes their updated Alexa Voice Remote which allows you to control volume and power.
You can also save up to $60 on the Fire TV Recast which allows you to record your OTA Antenna.
The Fire TV Cube which was announced in June and allows you to control your TV, volume, and sound bar with your voice is the most heavily discounted Fire TV device. It is only $69.99 (normally $120).
Best Fire TV Green Monday Deals
Fire Stick 4K
Fire TV Cube
- Fire TV Cube: $69.99 (normally $120)
Fire TV Recast
- Fire TV Recast: $179.99 (normally $220)
Roku announced this morning that they will launching their first stream-a-thon starting December 26.
The event will give access to full seasons of shows from TV networks like Acorn TV, Adult Swim, Discovery Channel, EPIX, Food Network, HGTV, HISTORY, Hopster, Lifetime, NBC, TLC, Travel Channel, and more.
To find the shows, you’ll need to visit the Featured Free section from the home screen. More details on the exact shows and episodes will be revealed in the coming weeks. The shows will be available until January 1st.
It has been reported that Amazon keeps 30% of that, meaning they will net more than $500 million from their streaming partners. Some of those include services include HBO, Showtime, CBS All Access,Hallmark Movies Now, Britbox, Curiosity Stream, and Sundance Now.
Earlier this year, TDG estimated that nearly 53% of HBO’s direct-to-consumer subscribers came from Amazon Channels.
The key driver of the service is that it removes nearly all friction for the customer to subscribe to streaming services. Customers can sign-up to the channels on an à la carte basis using their Amazon account. They can and watch on either Amazon or the streaming service’s own interface.
With their Prime Video service continuing to grow after reaching nearly 40 million subscribers this year, BMO expects that their Channels business could reach $3.6 billion by 2020
DAZN, the sports streaming service led by former ESPN President John Skipper — announced a brand new documentary series leading up to the Super Middleweight Championship fight between Canelo Alvarez and Rocky Fielding.
The three-episodes docuseries titles, “The Journey: Canelo/Rocky” will show as the boxers prep for their title match. The first episode is now available, with the remaining two released December 13 and 21 on DAZN and YouTube.
The service, which launched in the U.S. in September, previously announced deals to bring 80+ fights a year from Matchroom USA, Bellator, Golden Boy Promotions, World Boxing Super Series and Combate Americas.
Sport fans will be able to watch all Canelo and 10 Golden Boy Promotions fights a year for $9.99 a month after a 1-month free trial.
Click here to read our full review of the service.
Hulu has become the first streaming service to allow you to pay with your Venmo account. If you have a Venmo account, you’ll be able to sign up for a new Hulu account and then pay with Venmo.
Venmo joins their parent company, Paypal, and American Express Checkout, as one-click checkout solutions for the streaming service.
How It Works
- Use your web browser to sign-up for Hulu
- Select Venmo as a payment option
- Your Venmo balance or linked payment method will be used every month
Initially, Venmo will only be available for new subscribers, but existing ones will be able to use it in the next few months.
This morning the Hollywood Foreign Press Association announced the nominations for the 76th Golden Glove Awards. Netflix led all streamers with 13 nominations, followed by Amazon with 10, and Hulu with two. While Netflix earned the most overall nominations, Amazon received one more TV Series nomination.
Netflix took home three nominations for The Kominsky Method, two for Bodyguard, and single noms for Glow (Alison Brie), Ozark (Jason Bateman), and Seven Seconds (Regina King).
The streaming service also received three nominations for their film Roma by Alfonso Cuarón which has already earned some Oscar buzz.
Hulu received two nominations for The Handmaids Tale (Elisabeth Moss and Yvonne Strahovski).
The Golden Globe Awards will be held on January 6, 2019 with hosts Andy Sandberg and Sandra Oh. The show will be broadcast live on NBC starting at 8PM ET.
Full List of Streaming Nominations
- Roma (Best Motion Picture, Foreign Language)
- Alfonso Cuarón, Roma (Best Screenplay, Motion Picture)
- Alfonso Cuarón, Roma (Best Director, Motion Picture)
- Girl (Best Motion Picture, Foreign Language)
Girl in the Movies
- Girl in the Movies, Dumplin (Best Original Song, Motion Picture)
The Kominsky Method
- The Kominsky Method (Best Television Series, Musical or Comedy)
- Michael Douglas, The Kominsky Method (Best Actor in Television Series - Comedy)
- Alan Arkin, The Kominsky Method (Best Supporting Actor in Television Series - Comedy)
- Bodyguard (Best Television Series, Drama)
- Richard Madden Bodyguard (Best Actor in Television Series - Drama)
- Alison Brie, Glow (Best Actress in Television Series - Comedy)
- Jason Bateman, Ozark (Best Actor in Television Series - Drama)
- Regina King, Seven Seconds (Best Actress in a Limited Series)
- Timothee Chalamet, Beautiful Boy (Best Supporting Actor, Motion Picture)
- Homecoming (Best Television Series, Drama)
- Julia Roberts, Homecoming (Best Actress in Television Series - Drama)
- Stephan James Homecoming (Best Actor in Television Series - Drama)
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
- The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Best Television Series, Musical or Comedy)
- Rachel Brosnahan, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Best Actress in Television Series - Comedy)
- Alex Borstein, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Best Supporting Actress in Television Series - Comedy)
A Very English Scandal
- A Very English Scandal (Best Television Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television)
- Hugh Grant A Very English Scandal (Best Actor in Limited Series)
- Ben Whishaw A Very English Scandal (Best Supporting Actor in Limited Series)
The Handmaids Tale
- Elisabeth Moss, The Handmaids Tale (Best Actress in Television Series - Drama)
- Yvonne Strahovski, The Handmaids Tale (Best Supporting Actress in Television Series - Drama)
For the last week, YouTube TV subscribers have been seeing video quality issues on their Apple TV (4th Gen+). Many customers are seeing video streams take extended time to load with max quality of 240p.
YouTube TV confirmed that they are “aware of the issue” and are “active working with the team to resolve the issue.”
The exact timing of the release though is still unclear. A YouTube TV Engineer on Reddit shared, “No ETA since we don’t have an actual fix or working solution yet.” It appears part of the delay is that while the issue has been reproducible on tvOS 12.1, it hasn’t on the recent update of 12.1.1.
If you have been able to reproduce the issue on tvOS 12.1.1, send us an email, so we can share it with the YouTube TV team. We’ll update this story as we get more information on timing of a fix.