New to Streaming This Week (6/14/21), Including ‘Luca’ and ‘The Little Things’
Disney-Pixar’s “Luca” is a coming-of-age story about a young boy and a special summer of ice cream, pasta and fun. Luca is just happy to share adventures with his new best friend. That is, until a secret world is revealed and sea monsters threaten their joy in this animated Disney+ film.
“The Little Things” initially premiered last January simultaneously in theaters and on HBO Max. Now, the thriller comes back to HBO Max as it heads to a wider digital release. It stars Denzel Washington as sheriff and Jared Leto as a suspected serial killer terrorizing LA.
Monday, June 14
- Stanley Cup Semifinals (Peacock) All remaining games will be streamed, beginning tonight at 9 p.m. starting with Game 1 between the Montreal Canadiens and Vegas Golden Knights.
- Elite Short Stories: Nadia Guzmán (Netflix) Nadia debates seeing her long-distance boyfriend when she returns for her sister’s wedding in Spain.
- Rūrangi: Complete Season 1 (The Yellow Affair) (Hulu) A transgendered activist tries to connect with his estranged father after a 10-year absence.
Peacock is a subscription video streaming service from NBCUniversal that gives access to up to 15,000 hours of content including original shows, blockbuster movies, and classic television series.
Just like other streaming services, Peacock will have their own original series including reboots of Save By The Bell, Punky Brewster, and Battlestar Galactica. They also have shows like Rutherford Falls (Ed Helms), Dr. Death (Alec Baldwin), and a behind-the-scenes docs-series about Saturday Night Live.
The company has acquired the rights to many classic shows like the entire Dick Wolf library including Law & Order and Chicago Fire, Parks and Recreation, and The Office.
The service will also feature blockbusters and critically-acclaimed films from Universal Pictures, Focus Features, DreamWorks Animation, Illumination and content acquired from Hollywood’s biggest studios.
Tuesday, June 15
- Let’s Eat (Netflix) Two neighbors discover their relationship is defined by food.
- Life of Crime (Netflix) A real-estate developer’s wife is kidnapped — but he has no interest in paying the ransom.
- Sir! No Sir! (Netflix) A doc about the military men and women who pressured the government to end the Vietnam War.
- Revolution Rent (HBO Max) Andy Senor, Jr., stages the Broadway musical “Rent” in Cuba – the first by an American company in more than 50 years. The catch? The show is reimagined with a Cuban context.
- Rel-Season 1 (IMDb TV) A comic puts his life back together after his marriage falls apart.
- Juneteenth (Haystack News) News coverage of Juneteenth, the day that celebrates emancipation and the end of slavery in the United States.
HBO Max is a subscription video streaming service that gives access to the full HBO library, along with exclusive Max Originals, and access to every Warner Bros. film on HBO Max on the same day that it hits theaters.
HBO Max has two tiers, an ad-supported plan for 9,99 US$ and ad-free plan for 14,99 US$. HBO Max without ads also includes features like the ability to download offline and 4K streaming.
They also will get Max Originals that aren’t available to HBO channel subscribers, like “The Flight Attendant” (Kaley Cuoco), “Love Life” (Anna Kendrick), as well as reboots to “Sex In The City” and “Gossip Girl.”
Wednesday, June 16
- Paddington (Tubi) A jam-loving bear upends life for a London family.
- Tower Heist (Peacock) When a group is swindled in a Ponzi scheme, they go after the ringleader.
- The House My Wedding Bought (discovery+) Designer and real-estate expert Breegan Jane (“Extreme Makeover: Home Edition”) helps couples on a budget pay for a dream wedding and put a down payment on a house.
- Penguin Town (Netflix) In a South African town, endangered penguins look for mates.
- Silver Skates (Netflix) On the frozen rivers of St. Petersburg, a petty thief skates into the heart of an aristocrat’s daughter.
- Her Name is Chef (Hulu) Six talented women overcome obstacles to become top chefs.
It offers a good selection of current TV shows and its ad-supported tier is cheaper than both Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. You will be able to watch most shows from networks like ABC, NBC, Fox, and cable channels like Bravo, USA Network, FXX, FXM, HGTV, and more.
The service has a Limited Commercials plan for 5,99 US$ a month, or you can upgrade to their No Ads plan for 11,99 US$ a month. For 64,99 US$ a month, you can get Hulu Live TV from major cable channels, live locals and regional sports networks.
Thursday, June 17
- Summer Camp Island, Season 4 (HBO Max) Follow the adventures of Oscar and his best friend, Hedgehog, at a magical summer camp.
- The Little Things (HBO) Deputy Sheriff Joe “Deke” Deacon joins forces with Sgt. Jim Baxter to search for a serial killer.
- Intelligence, Season 2 (Peacock) A maverick NSA liaison with a wacky team wreaks havoc at the British Secret Service — but miraculously, gets the job done.
- Black Summer: Season 2 (Netflix) Special forces fight against a zombie apocalypse.
- The Gift: Season 3 (Netflix) An Istanbul painter embarks on a personal journey as she unearths universal secrets about an archaeological site.
- Dave: Season 2 (Hulu) A neurotic suburbanite in his 20s thinks he’s destined to be a great rapper.
- My Name is Bulger (discovery+) The family of Boston gangster James “Whitey” Bulger wants to be judged on its own merits, not by its infamous relative.
Ambientada en un precioso pueblo costero de la Riviera italiana, narra la historia sobre el paso a la edad adulta de un chico que vive un verano inolvidable lleno de helados, pasta e infinitos paseos en scooter. Luca comparte estas aventuras con su nuevo mejor amigo, pero toda la diversión se ve amenazada por un secreto muy profundo: él es un monstruo marino de un mundo que yace bajo la superficie del agua.
Friday June 18
- Luca (Disney+) An Italian summer adventure with Luca and his best friend — as they tackle the secrets of the deep.
- Chivas: El Rebaño Sagrado, Season 1 (Amazon Prime Video) The series charts the latest season of the beloved Mexican soccer team Chivas de Guadalajara and its players.
- Super Friends (HBO Max) Catch the ongoing animated saga of DC Comics superheroes.
- Fatherhood (Netflix) A widowed new dad raises his newborn daughter after his wife dies a day after her birth. Based on a true story, starring Kevin Hart.
- The Rational Life (Netflix) A career-driven 30-something Chinese woman must contend with a competitive workplace, a love triangle and her nagging mother.